Douglas J. Edmonds
Doug’s experience as general counsel and director of administration for a start-up engineering firm provides a background for advising businesses with respect to the practical legal issues facing them daily. His prior administrative experience allows Doug to assist clients in crafting solutions that are practical and administratively feasible in a complex business environment. Doug regularly counsels businesses on corporate transactions, including formation, acquisitions, divestitures, and business succession planning. Throughout his 30-plus year career, Doug has acquired extensive experience negotiating complex commercial agreements for businesses in such industries as engineering and technology, manufacturing, and financial services. His license as a patent attorney and experience with intellectual property matters is particularly helpful to the firm’s business clients. Doug also has a strong background in human resources and employee benefits that includes establishing and administering company policies and controls, employee benefit arrangements, and retirement plan consulting. Doug has experience with benefit plan fiduciary and governance issues and ERISA compliance under the Internal Revenue Code, COBRA, and HIPAA.
Doug also advises clients on estate planning and other personal business matters. His tax background and years of experience working with retirement assets, which can be one of the client’s most significant assets, gives Doug an important and valuable perspective when designing and helping to implement estate plans for the firm’s clients.
- LL.M. in Taxation, Georgetown University Law Center, 1987
- J.D., The University of Kansas School of Law, 1982
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, The University of Kansas, 1979
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
Community Involvement/Professional Affiliations
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Mid-America Chapter
- Westwood View Educational Enhancement Fund; Founder; Advisory Council Chairperson, Treasurer
- Boy Scouts of America – Troop 91; Treasurer, Camp Scoutmaster, Assistant Scoutmaster; Northern Tier District Committee
- The Missouri Bar